I'M RUNNING FOR OFFICE: WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
SO YOU HAVE DECIDED TO RUN FOR OFFICE. WHAT NOW?
Our second series in the Candidate Training Workshops covers candidates who have decided to run, teaching them the steps they need to take to be successful. We have similar consultations with all of our clients, whether they are running campaigns for themselves or for their business: how to streamline and define their message, how to successfully raise money, how to best navigate media channels, how to build and grow a constituency, how to efficiently delegate jobs to staff, and so on.
These essential video-conferences cover critical details of what you can expect during your campaign, ranging from the seemingly obvious to the bizarre, such as why you cannot mention your pets by name in your biography if you don’t mention your children, why you can never physically threaten reporters, and what to do when you knock on a potential voter's door and someone answers completely naked. You’ll learn how to effectively manage crisis situations, as well as tried and true tactics for managing unwanted volunteers, and more.
HOW IT WORKS:
A 6 week-long program, each week features two intensive 90 minute video-conferences covering an assortment subjects described below. The courses are intended to give you a foundational understanding and introduction to these vital topic areas.
Candidates who have successfully completed the Level I Seminar are eligible to receive $150 off the Level II course.
- How to Conduct Research & Why It Matters
- Campaign Strategy. What's A Campaign Plan?
- Staffing Your Campaign
- Political Consultants: What Do They Really Do?/What You Need To Know?
- Spouse & Family: What They Should Expect During a Campaign?
- Female Candidates: Exceeding Expectations in a Male-Dominated Game
- Telling Your Story: You Only Get One Chance to Make a First Impression
- Developing Your Messaging & Issue Positions
- Speechwriting: Write A Compelling Speech For Any Audience
- Optics & Public Perception: What Is So vs. How It Seems
- Earned Media: Is All Press Good Press?
- How to Deal with Reporters
- Responding to Attacks/Negative Campaigning
- Crisis Management
- Creating Your Budgets: What Things Really Cost
- Cost-Effective Event Planning
- How to Raise Money
- Reporting, Regulations & Violations - Why and When You Need a Lawyer
- Building Your Voter Universe: Targeting, Microtargeting, Supervoters and more
- How to Build a Constituency
- Persuasion vs. Mobilization: Balancing Recruiting Supporters and Getting Them To Vote
- How to Recruit & Manage Volunteers
- Dealing With Local Elected Officials
- Campaign Scheduling: Where Should You Be Right Now?
- Building a Digital Campaign Presence
- Field Operations
- Phone Banking: What To Say, Best Tactics and Things to Avoid
- Paid Media Advertising: Use Your Money Effectively
- Direct Mail: Targeting, Costs, Efficacy and More
- Yard Signs Don’t Vote: Developing Appropriate Campaign Materials
THE END GAME:
- Primary vs. General Elections
- Getting On the Ballot
- GOTV (Get Out The Vote) Efforts
- Election Day
Classes are 6 weeks long meeting 2-2.5 hours each week.